When the Niklaus Beutler and Rosina Andres Family came to the United States in Sep 1851, and they settled in Tuscarawas County, Ohio. Many Swiss had settled in the Sugarcreek area, and the Beutlers sought community here.
From 1851-1855 Niklaus Beutler rented land on the northeast part of Section 7, Sugarcreek Township. He purchased this land (40 acres) in 1855 for $900 and farmed it until 1866. In 1967 and again in 1993, Gary & Barbara Bettcher visited this property, where they found the foundation and chimney of the original log home. It measured 24' x 21' and was probably one and a half stories. Also, the foundations of the barn (30' x 21') and a spring house (17' x 13') were there as well, both built into the sides of a hill, just like they had been built in Switzerland.
The Beutlers and their children and in-laws later moved to California, Moniteau County, Missouri in 1867.